Sunday 15 March 2020

End of humanity (and consequently my time in Madrid)

Since my last post, the world has quite simply lost it's sh*t. COVID-19 has evolved into a pandemic and caused panic across the globe, causing people to lose their minds and stock up on toilet roll, and wiping the supermarkets of everything else as well.

UAM, in line with the strict measures Madrid is putting in place in an attempt to contain the virus (after letting International Women's Day marches go ahead - a minor slip up to say the least), has closed for two weeks. I've received an email from my uni, giving students abroad the opportunity to come home, of which I was initially dismissive. But since hearing that some of my other friends here are being ordered home, and that some unis in the UK have ceased in-class teaching until September, I feel as though choosing to book a flight and come back is probably the right decision. Not to mention the fact all my other flatmates have either left/leaving/ are unable to return, so I'd be stuck on my own for two weeks, also without the possibility of seeing a physio, but that's a different story. So thanks for talking some sense in to me Mum. Hopefully Bham are okay with this, as at the time of writing they haven't actually approved my individual request of continuing my studies in the UK!

Today I've packed, went to see my good friend Juan to say goodbye, and eaten too much food in an attempt to waste as little as possible. Typical that I bought about a week's worth in order to prep for the siege and then spontaneously change my plans as a result of the government stepping up the intensity of their measures. I'll be going to bed in about three hours, as I'll be up at 03:30 in order to be in the airport in plenty of time. I'm taking no chances. FCO is currently advising against all travel to Madrid, and I don't want to be in a situation where I can no longer leave Madrid/enter the UK.

I have mixed feelings at the moment. I'm really excited the go home, but I'm also a little bit disappointed that this is the way I have to end my study abroad year; can't say I ever saw it coming. I understand the seriousness of the situation, but it's also a little bit funny.

Reflecting on my year, whilst it definitely wasn't what I was expecting, and wasn't necessarily everything I hoped it would be before I came out, I've still visited some great places, met some cool people, made some great memories, and I've also learnt a lot about myself in the past few months. I know this sounds very gap year cliché, and is what I would have described it as before actually experiencing it, but it's true. I've had a lot of time to reflect since September, and I've learnt what my priorities are, what I want from life, what matters to me, where I feel most at home, and I've built up some positive habits in the process. So for that I'm extremely grateful. So wish me luck for getting back to the UK smoothly, and good luck surviving the end of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment